Aedan's Bday

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, October 24, 2008

S.I.C.K.Y I.C.K.Y I.C.K

Wahhhhhh! I hate being sick. It sucks big time, any time.

Last week was a sickeningly (pun oh-so-intended) sick time for me. In case you were wondering why I hadn't been blogging - it's coz I'd been feeling terribly under the weather.

It all started when I was eating my nasi lemak on Monday. I love my nasi lemak and I love the roasted peanuts that come in my santan-smelling packet of steamed rice. I was eating away nicely - just minding my own business, really, when I felt a flap of roasted peanut skin getting stuck on my molars. "Well, okay...no biggie, lemme just get it out..."

*GROSS-ness ALERT*

I was like, "Gosh, this peanut skin is damn stubborn ah..." while twisting my tongue into many a kamasutra-worthy positions. Finally, I gave up and resorted to sticking my finger into my mouth - and HOLY MUTHA...the aforementioned 'flap' was a piece of my gum!!!! I pulled out my finger immediately and in spite of myself (being in the staffroom, no less) went..ewwwww.

I mean, I didn't realise our gums aren't as sensorily-talented as the rest of our body. How was I to know I was injuring myself when it doesn't hurt?


So, how does this episode of PEANUTS relate to me being sick?

Well, it was then that I realised that I was growing out my wisdom tooth. The tooth, though coming along the right path, no bending here nor there, decided that my gums (more accurately known as gingiva) were in its glorious path to chow-food-dom and thus proceeded to rudely push it out of the way.

So, my probing (stabbing more like it) at the flap caused it to inflame and become infected. Nothing travels faster than bad news, they say. In my case, the bacteria involved in the gum-infection proudly and bravely travelled to a region where no gum-bacteria had ever been before (actually, probably pernah-sudah, but I like the dramatics) and so charged downwards to burn my throat and pillage my healthy lungs. By nightfall on the same day - I'd gotten a fever (part of the standard wisdom-tooth package) and had a terrible sore throat, stuffed nose and phlegm-ing away quite extravagantly.

*************************************************************************************
Btw, check out what I found on wikipedia:

Sometimes the wisdom tooth fails to erupt completely through the gum bed and the gum at the back of the wisdom tooth extends over the biting surface, forming a soft tissue flap or lid around the tooth called an operculum. Teeth covered by an operculum can be difficult to clean with a toothbrush.

Debris and bacteria can easily accumulate under an operculum, which may cause pericoronitis, a common infection problem in young adults with partial impactions. Untreated pericoronitis can progress to a much more severe infection.


*************************************************************************************

I had something important in school the next day, so I had no choice but to drag my pathetic self to school and grit my teeth (literally, since I didn't like feeling the 'flap') through 5 periods of classes and an afternoon of chess and scrabble competitions :p. Thank goodness, the kiddies were quite understanding and sweet that day :).

Finally, I saw the doctor later that night. (The dentist was closed). He explained to me that the infection had spread to my throat and lungs - thus resulting in the sore throat and excessive mucus production. Ultimately, he packed me off with 6 types of meds .....

And of these 6 types - 3 looked exactly the same - same colour (white) same size (3mm in diameter)!!! They were indistinguishable except for some miniscule hieroglyphical thingies embossed on each pill.

One time, I took two of which I was supposed to take only one and one of which I was supposed to down two. Sigh...

Luckily - growing up in a home where my siblings and I basically diagnose our own diseases, troop downstairs to the 'pharmacy' and prescribe ourselves to various 'capsule-cocktails' has made me a lot tougher. *Kids, please don't do this at home* Dom, Glynn and I have been vigorously trained to KNOW which pills to take - no guessing games - it's dangerous :p

Neways, I'm feeling a lot better now. The meds have kicked in wonderfully and though I feel slightly drowsy after the 'selsema' pills (as they are wont to do to you), I feel well enough to...

Why...I feel well enough to have THREE helpings at Uncle Ravi and Aunt Karen's Deepavali do...hear that, Sha???

No comments: