Aedan's Bday

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, March 15, 2010

BLUE HOUSE HURRAH

“RUMAH BIRU, BESAR PUNYA”

Below was my initial reaction to being Ketua Guru Rumah Sukan Rumah Biru on Facebook:

Rosalynn Wong I don't want to become Ketua Rumah Sukan. Gawd knows sports and rosalynn shudnt exist on the same planet

January 4 at 5:18pm · Comment · LikeUnlike · View Feedback (14)Hide Feedback (14)

Alex Ng and Glynn Noella Wong like this.


Sangeetha Gretchen

Wow...this can be interesting. :))

January 4 at 5:51pm ·


Kelly Pow MeiSeen

tell me bout it... i was one for 2 years straight. if they giv it to me again i'm gonna blow my top off :P

January 4 at 6:16pm ·


Diyana Didi Zulkifli

My last year was hectic because of this ketua rumah sukan thingy. Get help from the upper form students and teachers who you think would be willing to cooperate. There are bound to be some. Get list of names of last year students who were involved in sports day from your house and don't forget to ask last year ketua rumah sukan if there is any hands me down stuff that you can use for this year! Best of luck! :-)

January 4 at 6:34pm ·


Rosalynn Wong

Hahaha - thanks for all advice and support Didi

Mei Seen, I can imagine - u'd have made such a cute Ketua!

Sangeetha, this WILL be interesting - in the same way you might mean humiliating...... See More

Yunie...sedey kan?????

January 4 at 7:29pm ·


Mustaffa Taha

Gogo...win the housecup, ala, cam H.Potter,cuma kita jadi cikgu eh

January 4 at 7:42pm ·


Georgina Ng

I bet you will faint with students like me. I always skip 'raptai sukan'. LOL! Sports was NEVER my forte. Good Luck Rosa!

January 4 at 7:45pm ·


Freddie Wee

aiyo..so simple..all u nd to do is jus stand with the straw hat and big umbrella, bring along the fan, then jus say..ok ok..suma lari cepat cepat!!ingat!!bayangkan ada anjing kejar dari belakang..then the rest, delegate to the rest of the teachers la...hiasan rumah 1 teacher, perbarisan 1 teacher..all u nd to do is 'pan leng leng' and command!!simple..no nd stress...

January 4 at 8:10pm ·


Sow Lee Sun

god bless you... ask koay teach u the way to do this job, we did it be4 n i think koay n i was the perfect partner...haha

January 4 at 8:49pm ·


Kelly Pow MeiSeen

Wat Di said is rite. draw out a timetable for the tchs 2 train da kids too or else u mite end up doin everythin if they're no show....

January 4 at 9:11pm ·


Diana Wee

Ra ra ra...........! =) Hillarious!

January 5 at 10:56am ·


Rosalynn Wong

Thanks everyone for the support! I wised up today and leeched off all the paperwork from last year from a colleague :D Studying them furiously now :p

January 5 at 5:55pm ·

I was seriously de-motivated when I first got the job. I mean, I hate sports! I never play anything! However, this turned out to be a great lesson for me. I love...

SPECTATOR SPORT!

Hehehehe I discovered that I love watching people do sports.


The Blue House of SMKTDS needed serious motivation to get started. The first time we had sports practice, 40 students showed up. . . . 40 out of 400! Plus, statistics dictated that the number dwindles to about 15 by the end of the sports season. It was sad.


I kept hearing the flack my Blue house kiddies were getting from the other houses. I was getting some snide ones myself from some teachers. I hated seeing the kids slink away in embarrassment whenever they got jeered at. Nonetheless, I supposed there was a good reason for all those crap we were getting:


BLUE HOUSE has been dead last every Sports Day since the school's conception in 2003.


Nevertheless, the Mother Hen Syndrome in me got fired up - especially since I was convinced that Blue House had some pretty incredible athletes in store. I couldn't see any reason or excuse to come in last again this year. So I set my goals:


NO MORE LAST PLACE

With that, I went on a crusade. I read last year's reports and found some causes for past years' failures - poor attendance and participation. Then, I mentally geared the ones who bothered to stay back after assemblies by going all statistical on them. I damn near brain-washed them to think that we had a shot at winning the championship cup as long as they came for Sukantara and made sure their friends came as well.


You see, Sukantara marks made up a huge chunk in the overall point-count. Plus, kids didn't even need to win the events in Sukantara to get points. They just had to show up (1 mark) and qualify the minimum requirements in 3 games (2 marks each). If they did, each kiddy would have contributed 7 points to the house points -that's equivalent to winning a Gold medal in the individual events.


(note to my non-teacher friends: Championship Cup is awarded to the sports house with the highest combination of points from Sukantara, Individual/Team Events, Perhiasan Khemah, Marching and Cheerleading).


So yes, I gave pep talks and rallied the kids to come for the Sukantara. I spoke in BM, Eng and Mandarin during these announcements (and I got a kid to repeat my speech in Tamil). My colleagues and I drove a hard sale. My colleague in the afternoon session did the same. We put a huge bait in front of the kids (who just wanted to win after all) and they all (about 100++ anyway) came biting. It was cute in a heartwarming way. We did real good during Sukantara - up almost a hundred points from the nearest competitor. That was Pt 1 of my strategy.


That's me going all Nazi during the practice session.


Part 2 of the No More Last Place strategy was a bit trickier. I had to match athletes to the events where they would shine the most. Previously, I let them choose for themselves since we had no time to be running tryouts. This year, with a lot of help from Cikgu Aimarashid and Cikgu Siti Normah and Cikgu Wee....that's exactly what we did.

I hit a snag when we had trouble filling in all the slots. We didn't have enough time for tryouts for many many events and no volunteers as well. I had a deadline to meet for submitting participants' names for events and unless I had names for each and every slot, we'd be forfeiting many, many events.

So, I got a few trusted students together. They supplied me with names and I'd hit these potential stars with the 4Cs : corner, confront, cajole and coerce. I'd discovered that kids nowadays need to be pushed to excel. Otherwise, they'd be complacent and in their comfort zones. In our case, comfort zone meant watching from the sidelines and jeering their friends. We'd had a great showing during the Sukantara and some kids started to believe that we had a shot at the Cup - I didn't want a few talented but lazy-asses messing up the hopes of those who had tried so hard even though they weren't natural athletes.




In the end, we had a great line-up for the events and I was confident that we could at least place 3rd. Then, my principal hit us with a boulder a week before the Hari Sukan. The cheerleading squad would be judged and awarded marks. It would be an event by itself. Shoot! I had no time to choreograph and train a squad! I'd had the kiddies make poms poms to cheer with, but that was it!

Two of my Fifth Form BOYS came to my rescue. "Teacher, we want to try to do the Haka". I didn't respond to the idea immediately because I knew that I didn't have the time to run anymore practices etc. Plus, the boys needed more members and I didn't know any 13-17 year olds who had the spirit to pull it off. And, we only had two days before the Sports Day. I'm glad we worked it out though.... Once the other boys saw Aizat and Gerald perform the All Blacks' version of it - we had a team. They even let me put warpaint on their faces :p


OMG, it was pretty pretty awesome, especially when they performed it right before the Tarik Tali (highlight of every Sports Day) and one of their opponents turned and ran :p


This was the version we used:

Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Ka mate! ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru

Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā

Ā, upane! ka upane!

Ā, upane, ka upane, whiti te ra!

’Tis death! ‘tis death! (or: I may die) ’Tis life! ‘tis life! (or: I may live)

’Tis death! ‘tis death! ’Tis life! ‘tis life!

(This the hairy man that stands here...

…who brought the sun and caused it to shine

A step upward, another step upward!

A step upward, another... the Sun shines!)



So, to cut my extremely long story short:

WE WONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

How happy was that? And we smashed quite a few school records along the way too! Lol Let's just look at the pics :D So so so proud of all the Blue House kids who gave it their all :D


"Their all" meant grunting and falling for their house.
"Their all" meant cheering "Rumah Biru besar punya" even though they had no idea what it meant. (Peralihan kids were not familiar with BM slang)

"Their all" meant acting all crazy!



Still friggin happy :D Now the Blue House kiddies can all hold their head up high!

1 comment:

ah^kam_koko' said...

All thanks to you!
=)