Aedan's Bday

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Almost a year ago

Too much info?  Who cares?

Too late?  Ada aku kisah?

The following recount was my experience giving birth.  It's still the most amazing thing I've ever done in my life.  But then again, my life ain't that exciting :p  However, typing this out and recording this is important to me.  I want to be able to re-live this over and over again (without the pain, of course).  THIS gave me Aedan.  My Mr A.

So, about a year ago....

Sempat posing.
I was admitted into hospital on the wee hours of 27 th Oct 2011.  Mom felt my contractions and decided it was time. It was about 4 am. A doctor checked my dilation and it was only 1cm.  I was admitted anyway.  

Btw, the dilation checks were damn painful.  Basically, they inserted two fingers into the cervix to measure the opening n check the softness of it. hurts like a hooey.

I spent the whole of next day not feeling much pain. lots of contractions, of course, but not much pain. This was Thursday.

Finally, on Friday morning, Dr Shahril, the big boss of OnG at Kajang Hospital, checked me himself and decided to induce me due to low amniotic fluid levels. He pushed a pill into my cervix and at the same time, stretched out the cervical opening. Ow Ow Ow.....

I was still feeling no pain.  I was swanning around the ward and made friends with my roommate.

Happy before the pain.
That Friday night, after the family came to visit me and after they had left at about 7.30pm, the labour pains started. I felt the contractions getting more and more painful. I also had the urge to vacate my bowels at least 5 times.  A check at around 10pm revealed that I was 4cm open.  I was checked into the labour room.

The pain became more and more intense. As it progressed I found myself losing all control and propriety.  I was happily wailing for all and sundry to hear.

The doctors kept coming in to check my dilation  At the same time, I was being prep-ped. My water bag was burst, with a giant knitting needle lookalike. The doctor also emptied my bladder by inserting a catheter, which was painful. Throughout these procedures, I was just moaning and crying out in pain.

I tried all methods to relieve the pain. I prayed. I thought of happy thoughts.  I curled up in foetal position and refused to be prised off the bed railings.  Finally, I asked for pain relief, which was unavailable....sad...I also mauled the nurse attending to me half to death. The checks on my cervical opening continued throughout.  The medical personnel finally left my side when they estimated that I had another hour or two to go.  

Quite suddenly, however, I felt the urge to push.  I gave a super loud wail and the nurses ran over to me.  The staff nurse exclaimed," Jalan dah buka! ". 

Four nurses surrounded me and coached me through the pushing.  The pain was in the contractions so I had absolutely no idea what was going on down there. I was aware that they were telling me not to lift my bottom lest my perineum tore.

Funnily enough, I was also busy admiring the shiny, gold jewellery this nurse was wearing.  I was thinking (through the pain) - "Eh, quite nice that design."

I also had a very vague recollection of the doctor performing the epiostomy, but the contraction pain was greater so I didn't feel a thing.  I saw the scissors, though!

I was pushing through my third round of contractions when suddenly I felt something give and I saw, from between my legs, Aedan shooting out like a tiny rocket.  The nurse was caught off guard and he actually rolled one turn on the landing strip.  I caught a glimpse of him and my first thought was, "Gosh, he looks like Kean Ghee!" 

12.27am
The nurses whisked him away and started to prepare me for the placenta's exit.  Just a little pushing.  Quite suddenly, they placed him on my chest - he'd been wiped down, but there were still little bits of red goo in his hair.  He was squirming lightly and I affirmed he was a little boy with 10 fingers and 10 toes.  LOL

Then, as quickly as he was put on me, he was taken away again.  I was put in stirrups and the sewing started.  My legs were still wobbly and the force of childbirth superpowers were still strong with me.  I didn't feel a thing and concentrated only on talking to the doctor doing the sew-up.

After that, I was allowed to go back to my bed and I began BF-ing Aedan - who seemed voraciously hungry.  He was so enthusiastic, he drew blood.  It hurt like crazy, but I was too overwhelmed mesmerised by his cuteness to care.  The lil barracuda had his way until I came to my senses the next morning.  By then, I was sore and bleeding.  

However, there was no ill-feeling.  All was well.

Aedan had his first pee n poop quickly and we were cleared to go home by 12pm the next day.

That was The Beginning. 



No comments: